Bloggings about what I consume.....and what consumes me.

Monday, August 28, 2006

The weak that was....August 22-27

This week was the first week that I had attempted to see what kind of identity I can forge thru online communities. And, if I was going to describe this week's experiences in 3 words they would be hectic......fustrating......and educational.

I have been feeling a lot of pressure from my supervisors to get a wiggle on, and its tuff becos, I still havent been able to knuckl down wat I am trying to prove out with my project

but then again, i did bring it all on to myself for making the assignment sooooo broad. I must give my supervisors credit, they did warn me many a times about it, but I stubbornly ignored there subtle hints.

A slightly, sorta wish I was more open about it, I really do need guidance, well Im more open about it now tho.

but is it too littl too late??????....sometimes I wish I just choose to do seminar.

Well its been a hard road, trying to learn such web 2.0 tools such as wikis, bloggers, and profile pages, and what i learned so far is that each has its own benefits, and distinct features, but to my own detriment, unfortunately they seem to have there own computer language code, and that if one wantd to fully xplore the potentials of them. U GOTTA LEARN IT! Shesh!

It was hard the first few days, but I found some online tutes on Youtube, so that has sorta helpd me out a bit.

Besides trying to learn a completely new language, and get a grasp of web 2.0 tools that I have only vaguely come across b4, more obstacles that have presented them to me, we has nothing really to do, but everything to do with me completing this study has to do with my computer problems.

Yes, yes, yes! It was one of those weeks were all my computrs at my house decided to crash and break down......So I had to make do, buy hooking theNet cable to a lap-top I have borrowed, and temporaryingly (but seems ever so permanent) to work off that instead.
It looks sooo strange, logging around a lap-top all around the house, with a cable that looks like a placenta cord. (hahahaha, I took the pic to the lft straight afta a showa, its funny how much u can get away with wen wearing a towel) But I do like the advantage of being able to type and research where every I want around the house, in bed before sleeping, in the kitchen while cooking, ouside the front door, after I get sik of being lockd up in my room.

The only thing I dislike is the inner mouse pad, it give me rsi after an hours, so I hookd up a mouse thru USB.....bettr :-)

Its been a week of mostly borrowing equipment, so that I can really experiment with designing things for my web pages. besides a lap-t I borrowed a wacom so that it will be easier to make self portraits in adobe illo/f-shop which I post in my flickr page.

Time is very important when communicating online. with having to update things daily, u need equipment that will be able to create the best quality work in a finite amount of time. Its taking my hours to do just a singl self portrait, but as I get more accustomed to the equipment and programs it shud get faster.

Im left handed, so working with a mouse its like working backwords, when trying to draw something on my comp. plus, the sytlus tool feels so much more instinctive.....only if I can get used to all the shortcuts the programs hav.....hehehehe......i guess it would b bettr to learn wat the r first, instead of just guessing.

I even discoverd that when ppl are online, they are usually busy doing something already, so it its really quite difficult to steer them away to spend their time on my project for a while.

I tried to get friends to comment on my site, but they were like later,later, later. Which I can understand, since when Im online, I busy being a active user too.

So it is important to work fast but still create good work, becos there is alot of stuff out there online, mayb I would evn call it an oversaturation of stuff.

In youtube and flickr, that sometimes its just too much to sort thru., and on some blogs, the paragraph lengths are toooo long and u just get turnd off reading it! To get noticed u gotta try to stand out of the pack, over something nue, interesting, and relevant, all within the 3 initial seconds....

so b CLEAR......SUSCINT......and..DIFFERENT!

To check out my self portraits visit:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/chasing-sandcastles/

Besides living online, I had other obligations to attend to in the real world, such as my tax, social commentments and fix my good damn! youth allowance at Centrelink (don't get my startd at their inherent incompetence!)

So alot of the week involved alot of travelling and waiting. And nothing electronically could have accommodated me in this situations more affordably then simply a notebook and pen that I carry around with my notes.

My of my best ideas are done, on the run....the only problem now, is having to re-write them on my comp., Oh wellz, I least it will give me time to revise what truly is the 'crux' of my assignment.....identity?


Toddles....
Chase

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home